Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday Favorites: January 29, 2016 Edition

Stacey:

While winter seems to be a wee bit PMS-y lately here in the south, we are full speed ahead in our home with the comfort foods of the season. I am all about some soup! Aside from Campbell's Tomato accompanied by a few cold cheese cubes, these two have become my two new favorites. Of course, I found both of them on Pinterest while searching for delicious new noshes. Both were HUGE successes with the whole family--yes, even the kids--'cause picky eating has never been an option in our house.

Both soups made enough to have leftovers and reheated beautifully! YUM. YUM. YUM.

The third is an ah-mazing dessert. Now, if you aren't all that savvy in the kitchen, don't freak when you look at the picture and think, "Woman is nuts!" Seriously, I've never made a dessert this quick and easy that tasted so good! It's awesome . . . not on any diet plan you may have for the new year, but c'mon, life is too short to miss out on this one!

I call these three faves: soups and sweets! Enjoy!


Creamy White Bean, Ham, and Tortellini Soup
(I left out the cumin and oregano, and it was still great.)




One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Soup



Blueberry Cheesecake Roll-ups



--Stacey

Andrea:

This week, I'm going to take a break from complaining about the cold (both the temperature outside and the infection that has taken up permanent residence in my bod for the winter) . . . I still can't believe that I used up a favorite slot last week on tissues, but I still stand by my choice. Thanks, Puffs, for providing just a little bit of solace.

Stacey and I are on the same wavelength this week: I, too, am enjoying some comfort food. I'm a cheese lover, but I've never been a fan of pimento cheese. But about two years ago, my husband ran across a recipe that made me change my mind. About once a month, our daughter would sweet-talk Daddy into making a batch. There's a lot of grating involved, so it's not a quick thing to throw together. One day, he came strolling in from Publix with this:


Store-bought pimento cheese. I know. I almost didn't even give it a chance, but this kind is made in Pawley's Island, and I do love to support businesses in the Carolinas. My man urged me to try it on toast, so the next morning, we toasted bread in the toaster oven on both sides, and then for the last few seconds, we added a thin layer of this cheese (okay, that's a big story--we glopped it on like it was our JOB)--got it a little melty. That night when we got into bed, he said, "Tomorrow morning we get to have another PC!" I haven't had my cholesterol checked lately, so my fingers are crossed about that, but for now, breakfast is a little brighter. (My little girl still politely declines this version.)

While we're discussing indulgences, another of mine is good music. I get into music ruts here and there, and I was in a big one a couple of months ago. Then I discovered this CD:


I enjoyed her music when she sang under the name Watermark, but this CD is just amazing. I love every song, and it's a big bonus when you hear your five-year-old sing, "Worthy is the Lamb!" in the back seat . . . so beautiful.

My last favorite for the week is a store:


I was in there earlier this week. I came home and declared to my husband, "Soma is Victoria's ladylike big sister." He replied, "So now you're too uppity to shop at Victoria's Secret anymore?" Well . . . yeah . . . but he doesn't have to be such a brat about it.

Actually, I'm not saying that I'll never shop at VS again; I mean, there may come a time in my 40s when I may want a pair of panties that say "Text Me" across the back--but for now, Soma is my girl. So far I've splurged on the softest panties I've ever owned (and I'm as picky about my undies as my daughter is about her pimento cheese) and a couple of foundational garments (which I abhor, but they're a necessary evil of today's social norms--and if you have to wear them, you might as well get good ones). I haven't bought any pajamas or clothes yet, but trust me, those purchases are in my future.  The store is quiet and nicely decorated, and the customer service is excellent.

Hope you all have a great weekend filled with soft clothes, soft music, and great food!

--Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment